Friday, July 1, 2011

Let's Talk about Me (or mostly about my family)

Just a "change-of-pace" post that isn't completely about AUC. I feel like I had a few more posts like this when I first started writing my blog, but they still were about how I ended up in the Caribbean and why. I'll add the links at the bottom of this entry if it interests you.

Today I will just throw in fun facts about myself. Most common question I've gotten since I've arrived to the island has been, "what's you ethnicity?" or the mistaken question, "what's your nationality" wherein I reply "American". Yes, I am an American national, born and raised in the great state of Rhode Island.  When people ask me that though, I know what they're really after..... my ethnicity. To answer the original question, I've got two actually!  I am half Colombian and half Lebanese. Crazy mix, right? But somehow more common than one would expect since there is a sizable Lebanese population in Colombia. Hell, even Shakira is half Lebanese and half Colombian.  

Next question is usually "wow, how in the world did your parents meet?" This is a cute story. They met in Boston, Massachusetts at a Kaplan center when they were studying for the USMLE Step 1. They're both doctors. My mom attended medical school in Colombia and my dad went to medical school in Moscow because of the Lebanese civil war at the time. Think going to a Caribbean med school is hard? Try going to med school in the tundra that was the Soviet Union when you don't even speak Russian. As a result, my dad is now fluent in Russian as well as 4 other languages (I know you guys are LOVING these fun facts).  But once each of my parents were done with med school, they came to the United States in hopes of practicing medicine there. So just like everyone else, they had to pass all the Steps of the USMLE and they did. 

Next was residency... my parents are actually very intelligent. I wonder why I didn't get more of those genes? My dad is in Internal Medicine and ended up doing his residency at Rhode Island Hospital (the primary teaching hospital for Brown University Medical school) and my mom got her Pediatric Neurology residency at Mass General (the teaching hospital for Harvard Med). And that is the fascinating story of how my parents met and how we came to be Rhode Island residents.

Next question I get most often: "Do you have any siblings?" Why yes I do! I've got one younger brother named Mark. He has no interest in medicine though, definitely the black sheep of the family. He is a finance major at Quinnipiac University. I know, I know, I realize 97% of people have never heard of that school, but I added the link just to prove that it exists. 

Random fact that most people don't know about me: I've been to 35 countries. At least that's how many countries I could count just now. My family and I are just a bunch of globe-trotters. Since I was 10 years old, we started traveling to other countries twice a year. We would go two weeks in the spring and 3-4 weeks in the summer to all sorts of places. I've been to most of Europe, South America, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, but no Australia sadly :( sorry to my few Aussie readers, but I'm sure we'll make it over there soon.  

Favorite trip: 3 way tie. African Safari in Botswana, Machu Picchu and all the wonderfulness of Peru, and lastly the beauty that is southern Italy (i.e. Positano and the rest of the Amalfi Coast)  

Least Favorite Trip: France. Love the buildings, monuments, art, food, WINE but it's amazing how rude so many of the PEOPLE are. I'm sorry but French people are simply rude. Especially Parisians. And it's not like I'm forming this opinion from a one time trip. I've been to France on 4 different occasions with friends and family and it's always the same story. I even have French cousins I go out with over there and French people are rude to THEM and they are French! I don't know what it is. Sorry Pizza Dan, but Parisians are not the nicest population in the world.

Countries I *really* want to go to, but have not yet visited: Morocco, Egypt, India, Argentina

I just uploaded a couple of family photos from the trips. I feel like my parents and I look about the same in these pictures, but you can tell how much time passes with the dramatic growth of my brother.

Russia

Botswana
China

Portugal. The last trip I took with my family  before getting to St. Maarten.

This is my friend Alba, by the way. 

The "Big Trip" this year? St. Maarten. My family is coming down to see me next Saturday because they simply couldn't bare the thought of going on without me. I think that's what they call love. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this post as much as I did. If you have any random questions you want to ask about me, go right ahead and put in the comments section and I'll be happy to answer. Also any questions pertaining to AUC or medical school in the Caribbean in general, leave a comment and I'll answer it. I'm averaging around 150 pageviews a day right now, so I'm sure some of you guys have questions! Anytime on any of my posts. Leave a comment and I will get back to you. Until next time!

~Andrea


12 comments:

  1. I love this post Andrea! I actually had no idea you came from a multicultural background. I get that question a lot too. People would ask me where I'm from, then I'd reply I'm from Georgia, after which they'll say something like "you don't look like you're from Georgia" or "you don't have a Southern accent" or something like that. But then I'd say I love grits, grew up on that stuff...

    But yeah, my ethnicity's Taiwanese/Hakka and my nationality's American, and I speak English and Mandarin fluently.

    So I got two questions for you:

    1. What languages do you speak?

    2. What's the most unique food you've tried in your travels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Benji, I'm so jealous that you can speak another language fluently! I can speak Spanish pretty well, but I'm hesitant to say that I'm "fluent". I'm conversational in Spanish but I know there are a lot of words I don't know or I butcher the grammar a good amount of the time.

    Most unique food? hmmm. I've had frog-legs, escargot and foie gras (goose liver) in France, but I didn't mind eating those as much. The one thing I ate that really freaked me out due to the consistency was when I had bone marrow in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Andrea! You're lucky to have had the opportunity to travel to many countries already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another bad ass post Andrea, keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks I'm glad you guys enjoyed that

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew you didn't like France, but least favorite trip? Hey now. I lived there for four months and the French were très kind to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rach, no one could ever be mean with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you have an email i can contact u on or Facebook i want to know about the caribbean med school system

    ReplyDelete
  9. True. That one French guy threw a stone at you. Very rude.
    -Albi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey..I was wondering if u or ur dad had any info on med schools In Colombia..schools suitable for foreigners looking to one day practice internationally or in the states..I'm American and it wouldn't b bad to end up there again...
    My mail is uscs302@yahoo.com
    Thanks
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omgosh your Dad's story soundshort like my Dad's. We're from Africa but my dad went to medical school IN Russia and also had to learn the language for a year before studying and is fluent in Russian and 4 other languages! So cool. My Dad did internal medicine too. I am applying to AUC in the fall of 2016. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete