The Atlantis World Casino is a place you'll probably spend a decent amount of time in as an AUC student. It's the closest attraction to the school; only a one minute walk from the main building. On weekends students will come here to gamble or watch some of their sports teams, and during the week, most people come for some food or drinks at the local restaurants. The two most popular restaurants are Sugar Cane for standard blah-American fare and Thai Savanh which serves up an Americanized form of Thai.
The Italian place called Bella Napoli should be more popular I think. I've never had anything there except for the pizza, but damn is that pizza good. It's thin-crust, wood-grilled and sooooo much better than Pizza Dan's, but I get the feeling that nobody at AUC really knows about Bella Napoli. It's on the side of the casino facing the main road and no one is ever there. The pricing of the pizza may be part of problem, however. I think last time I spent $16 for a pie that I devoured in 5 minutes. If I was that owner, I'd definitely cater to the AUC students with some student discounts. That's where I'm getting my dinner from tonight, maybe I'll pass on my thoughts if I see him. (EDIT: Just got my pizza and there is an AUC discount! $3 off if you are a student.... I still paid $15 though.)
For the best Italian food in the Caribbean, you should definitely try out La Gondola for a special occasion or anything really because it is that good. Before my parents arrived to the island, my mom does this thing where she likes researching for all the best restaurants for one of our trips and then compiles it all into a list. So for the two weeks they were here, we went out to every lunch and dinner spot she had on her list. La Gondola was definitely the family favorite. We even went back a second time the night before my parents left. I haven't been able to get over that fact that I have lived 10 seconds across the street from La Gondola all these months and I only discovered last week that it's probably the best restaurant on the island. Sure we went to the French side to Marigot and Grand Case, but I was not excited about my food over there. I can't help but feel most of those restaurants are riding on the curtails of former glory and they charge an arm and leg because they are all Frenchy and they can. They are located in prime, tourist trap location, and the owners/chefs just grow complacent, I guess. Or maybe it's just because it's the off season? Either way, not worth the money, which by the way is in Euros.
There is one exception actually. My second favorite restaurant on my foodie adventure was La Villa in Grand Case. The food was delicious, the place was beautiful, the service attentive, anddddd if you pay in cash, 1 Dollar= 1 Euro! They have this amazing deal where you can order any appetizer, entree, and dessert from the menu for $49. Seeing how most of the other restaurants in Grand Case have a $49 price tag for one entree, this 3-course meal is actually pretty fair. My family and I loved all our food. We even ended up getting free champagne. When the waitress was serving us our drinks, my dad took a picture with his ridiculously huge camera and intense flash and blinded our waitress who then dropped a glass of champagne on my brother's girlfriend. Nice. La Villa is rated number one in Grand Case on Trip Advisor. If you guys want to see what other people say about it, click here.
The Italian place called Bella Napoli should be more popular I think. I've never had anything there except for the pizza, but damn is that pizza good. It's thin-crust, wood-grilled and sooooo much better than Pizza Dan's, but I get the feeling that nobody at AUC really knows about Bella Napoli. It's on the side of the casino facing the main road and no one is ever there. The pricing of the pizza may be part of problem, however. I think last time I spent $16 for a pie that I devoured in 5 minutes. If I was that owner, I'd definitely cater to the AUC students with some student discounts. That's where I'm getting my dinner from tonight, maybe I'll pass on my thoughts if I see him. (EDIT: Just got my pizza and there is an AUC discount! $3 off if you are a student.... I still paid $15 though.)
For the best Italian food in the Caribbean, you should definitely try out La Gondola for a special occasion or anything really because it is that good. Before my parents arrived to the island, my mom does this thing where she likes researching for all the best restaurants for one of our trips and then compiles it all into a list. So for the two weeks they were here, we went out to every lunch and dinner spot she had on her list. La Gondola was definitely the family favorite. We even went back a second time the night before my parents left. I haven't been able to get over that fact that I have lived 10 seconds across the street from La Gondola all these months and I only discovered last week that it's probably the best restaurant on the island. Sure we went to the French side to Marigot and Grand Case, but I was not excited about my food over there. I can't help but feel most of those restaurants are riding on the curtails of former glory and they charge an arm and leg because they are all Frenchy and they can. They are located in prime, tourist trap location, and the owners/chefs just grow complacent, I guess. Or maybe it's just because it's the off season? Either way, not worth the money, which by the way is in Euros.
There is one exception actually. My second favorite restaurant on my foodie adventure was La Villa in Grand Case. The food was delicious, the place was beautiful, the service attentive, anddddd if you pay in cash, 1 Dollar= 1 Euro! They have this amazing deal where you can order any appetizer, entree, and dessert from the menu for $49. Seeing how most of the other restaurants in Grand Case have a $49 price tag for one entree, this 3-course meal is actually pretty fair. My family and I loved all our food. We even ended up getting free champagne. When the waitress was serving us our drinks, my dad took a picture with his ridiculously huge camera and intense flash and blinded our waitress who then dropped a glass of champagne on my brother's girlfriend. Nice. La Villa is rated number one in Grand Case on Trip Advisor. If you guys want to see what other people say about it, click here.
No comments:
Post a Comment