| Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Very Green Vegetables and Herbs ;) |
I just got a good study session in this morning. When I drink the night before, I usually wake up pretty early the following morning so I was up, dressed, and out by 8:30. Right by Note Services in the main AUC building there are a bunch of picnic tables stationed with awesome views of the lagoon, so I decided to sit there and do work. I wish I had my camera at the time. For the two hours I was up there, I went over most of my MCB stuff from this past week and now I have to worry about anatomy for the next few hours.
Speaking of anatomy, the start of this block is significantly better than the start of first. I actually know what's going on in class, which was not the case for the first couple weeks of school, and now I've learned to use the UMich site for extra questions and for going over things I don't quite understand. This block we are focusing on the head and neck of the body. I've heard from a few student that this is may be the hardest block because you have to remember so many details about the nerves and blood vessels, like what foramen they exit out of, what muscles they innervate/supply blood to, the clinical significance if a nerve or artery is cut or impinged upon, etc. So I've been staying on top of my work, I've got the general cranial nerves down thanks to the help of a somewhat dirty pneumonic (not the one in the brain caption) and now I just need to memorize all the bones and muscles of the head and face. Not so bad, right? I've been using a site that's been great for naming all the external and internal structures of the body called winkingskull. You can click to hide or reveal the name of a particular bone/muscle/nerve/artery/vein and after you think you've got the hang of all the names you can take the quizzes. If you want to use this site, it's free, but you will have to register your email address.
In addition to lecture, my lab experience has also been better. For whatever reason, the smell has not been as pronounced and I want to say it's because I've gotten used to it, but I think it's because we are only working with the head right now (small exposed surface area) and we've been covering up the rest of the body. I don't even want to think about what's growing in our body's thorax right now. Since I haven't been having issues with the smell, I actually did some dissecting on Thursday! Shocking right? I feel like I outdid myself since I couldn't even handle the back, but I somehow managed to go ahead and dissect my cadaver's FACE. On one half of the face, the guys at my table were digging for nerves and on my side I was trying to clear the fat off to expose the muscles. We had a couple of awesome TAs at our table helping out with the parotid gland and clearing off fat, thanks Khyati and Qinshi! And also a shout out to one of our Head TAs Josh who was helping me out with the muscle half of the face, and showing off some finesse with the scissors and probes.
No comments:
Post a Comment