Friday, November 12, 2010

Some Info on AUC Housing and Dorm Pictures

The dorms, or I should say apartments since that is really what they are, are reserved for first semester and fifth semester medical students. Although, I have read recent accounts that because AUC has been increasing its class sizes, the school has been accommodating most of its first semester students and leaving the fifth semies out in the cold.

It cost $5400/semester for a single bedroom
and $4600/semester for a double

All rooms come with kitchen, bathroom, furnished living space, and bedroom. If you're interested in the floor plans you can go ahead and click here.

Going to med school is stressful enough, but going to med school in another country? Whoa. So the fact that you can have some piece of mind about where you're living more than justifies the price-tag of the dorms. Not to mention you can get to know the people you will be spending time with for the next two years. Other perks of the dorms include:
–24-hour power because the school has backup generators (the island sometime loses power)
–The school itself was built to withstand category-5 hurricanes (safe)
–The rooms are already wired for internet and cable tv (yay)
– And of course you have the ability to keep that AC on alllll day without having to worry about paying an expensive electric bill.

I'll be living on the first floor and I hear there are may be a couple problems. I've read that sometimes ants can invade so buying bug poison is a must and a simple solution to deal with this problem. Also, when it rains excessively, apparently dorms can have water seep in through the crack between the floor and the door.... so I may also need to invest in a stopper to go under my door. We'll see if this is an actual issue first.

I found some pictures. Courtesy of Benji Ho's Blog Diary of a Caribbean Med Student












Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment