Disaster averted. There's nothing quite as nerve-wracking as thinking you have a place to live in a foreign country during medical school to only find out that may not actually be true.
Considering I was probably the first student accepted for the Jan 2011 class (I got accepted way back in July) I KNEW I was going to get a dorm and I figured might as well go all out and try to secure one of the few singles available to incoming students. After I sent my housing request form in the beginning of August, I contented myself with the thought of having a nice, cool, ocean-view single room for my first semester of medical school.
Month after month passed and I soon realized I hadn't heard a word about my rooming situation on the island. So I called one of the AUC enrollment managers and asked when I would find out about housing and he told me I would hear back a month before classes begin. Alrighty then. I felt better and put the subject out of my mind.... but then I got the call two weeks ago.
A man from AUC called asking if I planned on living in the dorms.
"Uh...yes... I sent in my housing request form all they way back in August." Dread building.
"Oh, we never received your housing deposit of $1650."
WHAT?!?!?! (I didn't actually yell this) "I didn't even know I was supposed to send in a deposit."
"Did you ever get the email?"
Obviously hell no I didn't, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation, mister! And I get all my damn emails on my phone and I will not have my housing situation jeopardized because of the incompetency of you admissions people!!! "No I'm sorry, but I never got an email."
"Well we had sent you an email."
Well f-you, no you didn't because it would have been on my phone like every other email I've received from AUC! "Yeah, sorry, I never got an email."
"There are about 20 spots left so we will send you the email now and you need to try and send us your housing deposit as soon as possible."
With that I hung up the phone and I got the email one second later. I printed out the forms, filled them out and sent them out by the next day. Feeling angry about this situation I quickly took to my email and sent a message to the housing coordinator explaining that I applied for a single 4 months ago and no one ever sent me ANYTHING asking for ANYTHING. She replied saying she understood and would wait for my deposit.
And yesterday I got an email from her. I got a room, and not only that.... it's a single, room 110!!!!! wooooooo!!!! Back in paradise.
And again, disaster averted.
No comments:
Post a Comment