***update: the cost continually rises every year. please note the values on this post have most likely increased****
Relatively speaking, most of these Carib schools are a lot cheaper than American schools and that is one reason why people may choose to go abroad. But is it really worth it? Here are the numbers and you can decide for yourself. (Note: this is for tuition only! Fees and insurance not included in final amounts.)
The total cost of tuition after 4 years,
Saba: $98,500
Ross: $165,150
AUC: $169,550 (AUC just raised tuition 6/26/11)
St. George's: $205,163
Average cost of US public schools: $174,172
Average cost of US private schools: $175,588
St. George's not looking like a great place to go considering it costs the same as if you were going to a private, Ivy-league, city school. And Saba is so much less expensive because American students are not eligible for federal loans. They have to either pay out of pocket or use private loans with high interest rates, and this brings me to my next point-- I realize federal loans are there to make it easier for students to pay for their education, but I hate how schools drive up the price based on how much the government is willing to dish out for loans. We end up paying A LOT more in the end. All med schools should be priced around Saba. If you've got cash, I'd recommend going here to save a lot of $ and the quality of the education is no different from AUC or St. George's.
Relatively speaking, most of these Carib schools are a lot cheaper than American schools and that is one reason why people may choose to go abroad. But is it really worth it? Here are the numbers and you can decide for yourself. (Note: this is for tuition only! Fees and insurance not included in final amounts.)
The total cost of tuition after 4 years,
Saba: $98,500
Ross: $165,150
AUC: $169,550 (AUC just raised tuition 6/26/11)
St. George's: $205,163
Average cost of US public schools: $174,172
Average cost of US private schools: $175,588
St. George's not looking like a great place to go considering it costs the same as if you were going to a private, Ivy-league, city school. And Saba is so much less expensive because American students are not eligible for federal loans. They have to either pay out of pocket or use private loans with high interest rates, and this brings me to my next point-- I realize federal loans are there to make it easier for students to pay for their education, but I hate how schools drive up the price based on how much the government is willing to dish out for loans. We end up paying A LOT more in the end. All med schools should be priced around Saba. If you've got cash, I'd recommend going here to save a lot of $ and the quality of the education is no different from AUC or St. George's.
Nice blog. Lucky that I'm Canadian because we do get loans for Saba!
ReplyDeletePersistence....Priceless. I have worked around a number of doctors. What I can tell you from what I have observed from 2' away is when you make it, and you will, you will be the kind of doctor that I will refer to. You have an aura around you, your patients will see it and you will be very successful. I just had my ass kicked last semester--it's humbling. Time is a relative thing. Even my roommate from PA school said "do you know how old you will be when you finish residency and a fellowship?...Yes Barry, I will be the same age I would have been if I didn't go".
ReplyDeleteHave a great day--My BD is Thursday--Time is relative.
I am applying to medical school this year, and I am considering AUC as my university of choice. I was wondering how hard it was for you to get placed into pediatric neurology. Did you get your first choice of residency or how high on your match list was the residency you selected?
ReplyDelete