Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Exactly 50 more days till I move to St. Maarten

Time's been speeding up and I'm starting to feel nervous/excited for this new chapter in my life. I'm not happy about leaving my friends, family, and my boyfriend in particular, and I know once I get to the island, most of my life will probably be in a library or my room.... or perhaps on a nice beach..... no, no! In a library! Face in book, studying hard! Very hard!

The last few days on valuemd I've been reading that most students (past and present) consider the school (and all the Caribbean schools actually) to be pretty much a "do-it-yourself" type of institution.  However the more I read of other students experiences with the school, it seems that it isn't as do-it-yourself  as one might think. Of course you must go to lectures, lab, and get the slides, and you have to do plenty of studying on your own but after classes everyday there are TA tutoring sessions available to all the students to go over all the information of a class on that day. That seems like a nice resource to me, especially if I'm seriously struggling in a class, but I can't help but feel sick with the thought of going to class all day, then going to anatomy lab, and then going home to study, but only to return a couple hours later for these TA sessions, followed by even more studying at home. Yuck and I will have to do the same thing the following day FOR TWO YEARS.

Now I'm freaking out thinking about this.

 I'll be able to write more on the subject once I get there, but for now I'll just content myself for having another 50 days to relax and do what I want with my soon-to-be-gone freedom.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I will be attending AUC in May:-) I was wondering, have you found those TA tutoring sessions as available/useful as you expected?
    Thank you,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,
    I've actually only attended one tutoring session this entire semester and it was for MCB. I felt like it was a waste of my time when I went, but people tell me that the tutors have gotten better since the first week of classes.

    I think most people in my class don't go to the tutoring sessions, but we all download the tutor slides from the AUC Angel site. You will be registered for that once you are over here. The slides are great for review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    I had a question, about how soon before classes started did you arrive on the island? I am trying to figure out when to go there.

    Thanks!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the schedule is always a little different every semester. i arrived about a week early to get myself settled in. i feel like i had orientation on monday and tuesday before i officially started classes on wednesday.

      Delete