Friday, June 17, 2011

Semester 2: Block II Results and my Newfound Study Method

Like I said in my last post, I didn't do poorly this block, I just didn't do as well as the first (I know I sounded like a whiny little bitch). But I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since Block I is the easiest of the semester. Since the end of March, my grades have been steadily improving.... until now. I regressed, but only slightly.

Immunology-
Average: 84%
Me: 88%

Physiology I-
Average: 81.5%
Me: 83%

MCB II-
Average: 82.5%
Me: 88% (I didn't initially do this well, he threw out three questions that everyone got wrong)

Biostatistics-
Quiz 1+ EC=
Average: 78%
Me: 114%

Quiz 2 + EC=
Average: 83%
Me: 90%

My Biostats final is next Wednesday. With the quiz grades and extra credit I'm going into the exam with a 102% average. I cannot wait to be done with this 1 credit course.


At least a "bad" block for me right now isn't me failing an exam like first semester. At least I have balance, which wasn't the case last semester when my grades were pretty much A, B, F.  If you guys remember from my earlier posts, the first 3 blocks, I failed three different exams. First Block I failed Anatomy, second block I failed Histo, third block it was MCB. To put it plainly, I was a disaster. Fourth block was the first time I didn't fail an exam. It was at this point I discovered my study technique....

I no longer listen in class. I doubt this will work for everyone, but the kind of learner I am... I need words. I need to physically write words. Over and over again. And to read them over and over again. I can't listen in class. I just can't do it. I don't have ADHD, I just get so overwhelmingly bored, time crawls. I  would day dream, doodle, even bring my computer to class just to surf the web. It was stupid. I tried very hard in the beginning to listen, but I can't learn when I'm listening. I was wasting 3.5 hours of my day in class so then I decided 4th block, forget this I'm just going to sit in the back of the room with my headphones on and study on my own while class is happening. And that's what I did and what I still do everyday. That's it. And it's been brilliant.  I write notes on the margins of the slides while I'm in class and once I'm home, I write those notes again in a notebook or I'll convert them into flashcards. When Block weekend rolls around, all I do is read from those notes and flashcards 3 or 4 times and then I'm set. And what's particularly nice about this method is that I save time and don't need to spend as many hours studying at home like most of the other students in my class. After classes, I probably study for four more hours and then take the evenings off.

I think I may tinker with the method I've been using and start writing the actual notes into my study notebook (or flashcards) while I'm in class from now on, and then when I'm home I can just read over my notes again and again and memorize them for that day. I'll let you know how it goes for me. I hope this is helpful to everyone!


Related articles

No comments:

Post a Comment