Hey guys! Hope everyone had a very happy Match Day! Congratulations to all who are about to join the ranks. Due to the popularity of my IMG friendly pediatric program list, I decided to add a similar list for child neurology programs.
In general, child neurology is not an intensely competitive field. There are about 70 programs in the country (almost all university based) ranging from 1 to 6 spots available per year, however most programs will only have 1 or 2 positions. Child neuro tends to be a field that is very international graduate friendly because it just hasn't garnered enough attention from US students, so if you are a foreign medical graduate (FMG) with strong step scores and good letters of recommendation, you can essentially get an interview at any program in the US.
If you are coming out of the Caribbean however, there is always that issue of stigma. Because so few people from the Caribbean match into child neurology, I could not put as exhaustive a list together as I hoped, but I can offer the list of places that gave me the opportunity to interview.
Without further ado, these are the programs that gave me a shot:
-Tufts Medical Center Program (Boston, MA)
-University of Mississippi Medical Center Program (Jackson, MS)
-St. Louis University School of Medicine Program (St Louis, MO)
-Duke University Hospital Program (Durham, NC)
-Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program (Winston-Salem, NC)
-SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn Program (Brooklyn, NY)
-University at Buffalo Program (Buffalo, NY)
-Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program (Cleveland, OH)
-St. Christopher's Hospital for Children Program (Philadelphia, PA)
-Medical University of South Carolina Program (Charleston, SC)
-University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (Houston, TX) ->MATCHED
-University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School Program (Austin, TX)
-University of Virginia Program (Charlottesville, VA)
Obviously a couple of the above programs are some of the best pediatric programs in the country, so your 2 years of general peds training is extremely strong. And what most people don't realize is.... if for some reason you have a change of heart and want to stay general pediatrics, no one is going to force you to finish 5 years of child neuro. You can finish off as a categorical pediatric resident, and coming from the Caribbean and ending up at program like these- I'd say you did very well for yourself. However, programs want to ensure your interest in the neurology aspect of pediatrics and will do their best in vetting applicants and making sure they want to do pediatric neurology.
I ended up ranking 18 programs and UT-Houston was actually third on my rank list. I had a hard time deciding between UT, UVA, Duke for my top spot and on multiple occasions each had seen #1, but by the time my rank list was due, I had settled for UVA first, Duke second, and UT-Houston third. I could not be happier with the way things turned out.
Hi! It's a little too late, but many many congratulations, I hope UT is treating you well!
ReplyDeleteI will be starting in the fall and your blogs has helped me out alot. UVA is on top of my list to where I would like to go for residency and I was wondering if there are any advices you can give. Thank you :)
Thank you very much! Study hard on the island; when you're on clinicals get great letters of rec and get on the good side of people who know other people in programs countrywide.
DeleteHello! Thanks for your info. Im a 4th year AUC student who is applying now to mostly peds with my end goal being Child neuro. I only have Letters of Rec for neuro or peds, but not child neuro specifically, Can I still apply child neuro categorical spots dirctly eith these letters? Were all of these categorical spots you applied to or peds prelim/child neuro? Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou can use these letters as long as they are tailored to peds/pedi neuro or broad enough so you can apply to any specialty. Be sure to tell your letter writers what you want to go into.
DeleteContinuing from the post above, Did you apply to Child Neuro and Peds or Adult Neuro at the same location? same or different Personal Statements, letters ect? Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI applied only to peds and pedi neuro and often times at the same programs. I would select pedi neuro preliminary if it was available to select. You will find the university regular pedi programs won't offer interviews, however pedi neuro will since it's a less popular field. Take advantage of it
DeleteHi, how competitive are step scores for these programs?
ReplyDeleteDo I have a chance with a 214? I have many years of research experience within child neuro and have published some papers.
I think your score is slightly lower than the average, but you still have a good shot with your research experience and publications.
DeleteThanks so much for your response Andrea!
DeleteI've been working towards a future in child neurology for quite some time and had a question regarding step score cut offs.
Do you know what the average cut off score is for most programs?
I had posted once about average scores for the step exams by specialty but you can google those results for the newest match information. Pedi neurology tends to be around 225 that last time I had checked 3 -4 years ago
DeleteHi,
ReplyDeletehow competitive are step scores for child neuro?
I have a 214? do I have a chance if I have many years of child neuro research experience and publications?
You certainly have a chance with that score especially with all the years of research experience you have. Research experience is extremely important these days
DeleteDid you complete any Child Neurology elective while at AUC in your fourth year? May I contact you by email? I am at the end of my third year at AUC and I too am trying very hard to match into child neurology.
ReplyDeleteHello Andrea, love your blog! so so helpful with tons of wonderful info! Do you know the current attrition/dropout rates at SGU, Ross, AUC, and SABA? Not sure if the stats you had posted in 2010/2011 are still valid. Thanks in advance!
ReplyDeleteHey,
ReplyDeleteDid you do anything to keep you busy until you started residency. Even if there was 2-3 months before starting residents upwards to 6 months, was there anything that helped while away time? How is residency so far? Thanks!
My best advice to you is to enjoy as much life as you can while you're off residency. If you aren't confident in your presentation skills or note writing, I recommend asking to rotate somewhere to sharpen these two skills because its essential as an intern for an easier transition. Otherwise, enjoy life to the fullest before you start residency.
ReplyDeleteResidency so far is good. Currently in my third year of five. I'm doing adult neurology currently and have been learning a great amount. I have better hours and never work more than 12h at a time. When I was on pedi I had 28h calls every 4th day while in the ICUs and wards.
Thank you so much for your response. I wish you continued success, now off to either relaxing which I'm so tempted to do, but also maybe explore maybe some type of volunteer not necessarily medicine, but another fun/exciting thing to do.
ReplyDeleteAgain thanks so much! and congrats on everything thus far.
Alrighty today is the day, woo hoo! lol So usually im calm, reserved, and quiet. Today Im so sick with the upmost cold. Im sucking down lemons directly that naturally build the immune system. The most bitter fruit but oh well. Watery and red eyes and stuff nose. Ill stop here or should have earlier and spare you the PMHx. So, just wanted to know when you were choosing places to rank, did you think of family. If you are close to parents, siblings, relationships, did you choose keeping this in mind. In addition to your experience, Overall, during your time, what was the overall consensus that you gathered from others on how they ranked. Thank you so much, and continued well wishes and hope where you are is a heck of alot warmer. Cheers!
ReplyDeletehello how are you?
ReplyDeletethank you for your blog and useful info
i have a cs attempt and 237 usmle step one score....trying to retake cs and ck this year...was wondering what do you think about my chances for pediatrics and pediatric neurology with my attempt?