So interview season is about to be in full swing. I sent out my application via the Electronic Residency Application Services (ERAS) on September 15th, all my letters of recommendation are in, my Step 2 CK arrived last Wednesday (passed with a solid 226), and my MSPE letter is about to be released on October 1st. I'm going to devote a lot more posts over the next several weeks on tips for the application process, personal statement, and letters of rec that should be beneficial to all students applying next year, because apparently I'm doing something right. In 2 weeks I've already received 8 interview requests!
As Caribbean students, we are told that we are doing well with interviews if we get a request for every 10 rejections... those are disconcerting stats. And we are also told that if we can get 10 interview requests, we should match somewhere! Seeing that October is the big month for receiving interview requests/rejections, we'll see how things shake out the next couple weeks. I will be sure to keep you updated xx
Good luck! Sounds like everything is going great so far!! Can't wait to hear everything
ReplyDeleteWhere are you now in your journey? I recently stumbled upon your blog and, with your success in the basic sciences and clinical rotations, I'm anxious to hear if you were able to land a residency spot. Can you update us on your current status?
ReplyDeleteHi Natalie,
DeleteThanks for the message. I'm actually in Miami at the moment doing my very last rotation of med school. I find out where I match on March 20th! I will have an update xx
I know I'm gonna sound like a total creep, but you are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen!
DeleteWish you could be my doctor lol!
I would like to see anything more you have on the application process and personal statement. Thanks for sharing your journey.
ReplyDeleteHi Jennifer, I will write about the application process when things settle down.
DeleteHi Andrea, Congrats on matching!
ReplyDeleteI randomly came across your blog the other night just googling Caribbean med school success stories hoping to find some motivation haha. I am currently a Carib student in my second semester and was wondering if you could provide any advice at all. I feel like my time here is going by so slow, yet fast at the same time. I just can't wait to be back in the states and to be doing rotations.
I keep hearing bad things about the Carib and it kind of freaks me out because I don't know what to believe since I don't know anyone who has taken this route. Anyways, hope to hear from you soon!
Hi Derek,
Deleteit definitely counts which caibbean medical school you're attending. AUC, Ross, St. George's have that best match rates of all the caribbean medical schools and people get in to some pretty competitive programs. AUA, St Matthews, St. Kitts also have their fair share of success stories from what I can see. Best thing I can tell you is keep studying hard, enjoy the island, it deos go by so fast, and do as much as you can during clinicals. If you want to get the most out of your clinical experiences you have to make the effort and just go for it. If you rather sit back study, enjoy the better hours, you can do that too. it's all what you make of it
Hi Andrea,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, CONGRATS!!!!
I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions about CK for me.
How long did you study?
What did you study?
How many repetitions did you get in of UW and whatever sources you used?
How did you do on NBMEs and UWSA compared to the 226 you got?
Thank you so much, I need all the advice I can get because I am really struggling passing the NBME at this point and have already pushed my exam back twice.
I studied a little bit over the course of three months during my surgery rotation. I think I gave myself one week of dedicated studying a couple of weeks before I took the exam.... then I moved back from London to RI and everything was super busy and a disaster and then I took my exam haha. I never took any NBMEs, which I wish I did. And I only did the uworld QBank once and I didn't even finish it. I think I did 80% of the qbank, but my average scores for the random questions blocks were mid 70s to mid 80s.
DeleteDefinitely do not take the exam if you feel that you will fail. Keep doing questions and learning from your mistakes and continue to go back over material you struggle with. I also recommend knowing your biostats well. There are loads of biostats questions on that test and they arent particularly hard if you remember the equations.