I've always been anxious writing restaurant reviews. I have a habit of trending to the dramatic. I supposed in behavioral science language you can fault me for dichotomous thinking (the tendency of seeing everything in one extreme or the other), because when I do get around to writing a restaurant review I always have very strong feelings one way or another. If a restaurant is awful, I really want people to know about it, and if it's terrific, likewise. So naturally, from being so one sided in my critiques, people are often disappointed or pleasantly surprised in whatever restaurant I'm writing about.
I'll try not to blow this out of proportion, but Tahoma may be the best restaurant you've never heard of. It's a semi-outdoor spot, sandwiched between the beach and airport runway. I know it doesn't sound that glamorous... it does get very loud when planes land or take off, but hey it's all part of the St. Maarten charm. The kitchen is open from 11- 4 p.m daily, if you buy drinks or food you can get free chairs out on the beach and spend the day. Parking is plentiful enough, but if the lot does get full, you will have to resign yourself to parking along the side of the road.As for food, I think I've been here on 4 or 5 occasions and I have always ordered the tuna or salmon tartar (photo below) since I'm under the impression that it's the best on the island. Each time I try to order something else, but I just can't bring myself to do it. But then again, it's my own personal preference, so don't go into this thinking it will be the greatest thing you'll ever eat since I'm sure I've set you up for disappointment. I tried the gazpacho soup here and it was pretty good, although the chef may have been a little too generous with the oil. And the burgers here! They are gorgeous! I know some of the guys I've spoken to love the "Tahoma burger". The kitchen prepares it's own patties infusing it with all kinds of ingredients and spices, and the handcut fries are excellent as well. For as good as the food has been, I've never seen more than a 4 or 5 other people at the restaurant, which is a little sad for me. Hopefully I've convinced some of you guys to at least give this place a shot. I just hope you end up agreeing with me. AUC students, don't forget! you get a 10% discount so be sure to mention you're students. I've given you a road map below. Drive as if you are going to Bliss, but before entering the parking lot, turn left and drive up that road alongside the runway. You'll hit a fork, turn left and continue down and you will run right into Tahoma.
That's all for now. Ciao (Photo courtesy Daria Z)
![]() |
| Tahoma Burger |
![]() |
| Tuna Tartar |
Tahoma Restaurant, Beach Bar, Lounge
34 White Sands Road, Sint Maarten
Phone Number: +599 524 1185 or +599 581 2104
Facebook: TAHOMA
Email: newtahoma@yahoo.com
Price- $15-$30
Map:
View Larger Map


Looks like a nice place. I'll have to try it out if I ever come back to the island. I like how they stacked the fries... so much attention to detail!
ReplyDeleteBenji you have to come back for graduation!
ReplyDeleteLooks super nice, I wonder if they have vegetarian options!
ReplyDelete