Rhode Island is a state of one million residents and so far 155,000 households have no power. We happen to be one of those households. We lost power at about 8:30 this morning and have been without it for the last 5 hours. For awhile my parents didn't feel like using the generator we bought yesterday, but finally they decided to hook it up to the fridge. Good decision, guys. Once they started the generator, we also discovered we could hook up our Verizon Wireless router thing into the outlet and get internet . Other than those two things, we have no power. Lights are out, water is limited, and we are all just chilling in the family room with our dog.
It's been raining intermittently throughout the morning, but the wind has been pretty fierce at times. I'm glad our trees are so old and huge, because I'm pretty sure anything else would have come crashing down at this point. Despite all that, I've been thoroughly unimpressed with (the now) Tropical Storm Irene. A lot of hype for a lot of nothing. Sure we lost power for a few hours, and to be honest, I'm surprised we have even lost power for this long. Right now the weather outside is calm. There's no rain and hardly any wind and yet we still have no power. I think National Grid must be making its rounds pretty soon.
For food, we've actually been grilling! My dad just grilled some Sea Bass he brought home last night and we also ate like 5 tomatoes. August is tomato season after all. We are defrosting a couple bacon and cheese burgers for a little later. I'm also enjoying a lovely Coffeehouse Porter from Berkshire Brewing Company. Other than that, folks, not much else is happening. My flight for St. Maarten isn't till Wednesday and classes start Tuesday. Maybe I'll do the unthinkable and actually try looking at some slides or BRS Path since there's not much else for me to do today. I hope everyone is healthy, happy, and safe. Talk to you again soon.
It's been raining intermittently throughout the morning, but the wind has been pretty fierce at times. I'm glad our trees are so old and huge, because I'm pretty sure anything else would have come crashing down at this point. Despite all that, I've been thoroughly unimpressed with (the now) Tropical Storm Irene. A lot of hype for a lot of nothing. Sure we lost power for a few hours, and to be honest, I'm surprised we have even lost power for this long. Right now the weather outside is calm. There's no rain and hardly any wind and yet we still have no power. I think National Grid must be making its rounds pretty soon.
For food, we've actually been grilling! My dad just grilled some Sea Bass he brought home last night and we also ate like 5 tomatoes. August is tomato season after all. We are defrosting a couple bacon and cheese burgers for a little later. I'm also enjoying a lovely Coffeehouse Porter from Berkshire Brewing Company. Other than that, folks, not much else is happening. My flight for St. Maarten isn't till Wednesday and classes start Tuesday. Maybe I'll do the unthinkable and actually try looking at some slides or BRS Path since there's not much else for me to do today. I hope everyone is healthy, happy, and safe. Talk to you again soon.
in this case, im glad the hype fell flat. good to hear of no damage. my family in northern virginia lost power for about 9 hours and that was it.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteMove to Florida. I am boat hunting, working on patents, and studying like all get out for my PA re-certification. Good luck this semester!
Freddy
Freddy!
ReplyDeletei JUST LANDED IN ST MAARTEN TODAY!!!! you are boat hunting? I hope you find a nice one. we will miss you this semester, freddy! Good luck with the recertification and and patents. you will do awesome, i know it. Come back soon
~andrea