I've been on hold for 45 minutes now with Jet Blue and I figured why not take this invaluable opportunity and blog about something? Unless you've been living under a rock the last week, most of you know there is hurricane ready to assault the East Coast. Hurricane Irene will be attacking the Carolinas today and is slowly creeping up towards New York, Rhode Island and Boston. And it just so happens that she will be arriving just in time for my flight to St. Maarten...I'm supposed to be flying out of Boston on Sunday at 8 am to New York and then from there to St. Maarten.
Unfortunately Irene will also be in the northeast on Sunday, hence my being on the phone forever waiting to speak to an actual human being about my flight situation. The only silver lining I see now is that Irene has been downgraded to a Category 2 hurricane (it was feared she would go up to a Category 4) and I'm hoping by the time she reaches the cold ocean waters up north, she'll fall to a Category 1 or even just be relegated to tropical storm status. I feel like my flight will undoubtedly be cancelled, but at least damage will be minimal. For awhile there it seemed like weather analyst were painting this hurricane to be the apocalypse. Some still are doing that, but I'm not sure it's looking like that now.
UPDATE: I got off the phone with my Jet Blue representative and all flights are cancelled on Sunday and Monday morning in Boston and New York. I had the option of flying back tomorrow (Saturday) at 8 a.m. or on Wednesday at 8 a.m. All the flights on Tuesday were booked. The responsible thing to do would be taking the flight back tomorrow morning. I would make it to school early, I could register on time, be available to proctor the Ethics workshop put on by SJC for the September class' Orientation and I won't miss the first two days of class.
But somehow good reason just doesn't work out sometimes. I took the Wednesday flight.
Just the mere fact I had to cut my vacation one day short made me almost instantly reject the idea of flying out tomorrow morning (I also was not mentally prepared). It's one day less with my family, one day less with my boyfriend. As silly as this sounds, I have a nice dinner date planned with John tomorrow night, and there is no way I was going to cancel our date. Miss registration? pshh whatever. Forgoing my SJC responsibilities during orientation? I've done worse. Missing my first two days of class? I can still miss another 12.
Yep, sensibility definitely trumps sense today.
p.s. random thought, how funny is it that everyone at AUC has been waiting to be hit by a hurricane all semester in the CARIBBEAN and it never comes. Instead I'm getting hit with a hurricane in Rhode Island on my traveling day.
Unfortunately Irene will also be in the northeast on Sunday, hence my being on the phone forever waiting to speak to an actual human being about my flight situation. The only silver lining I see now is that Irene has been downgraded to a Category 2 hurricane (it was feared she would go up to a Category 4) and I'm hoping by the time she reaches the cold ocean waters up north, she'll fall to a Category 1 or even just be relegated to tropical storm status. I feel like my flight will undoubtedly be cancelled, but at least damage will be minimal. For awhile there it seemed like weather analyst were painting this hurricane to be the apocalypse. Some still are doing that, but I'm not sure it's looking like that now.
UPDATE: I got off the phone with my Jet Blue representative and all flights are cancelled on Sunday and Monday morning in Boston and New York. I had the option of flying back tomorrow (Saturday) at 8 a.m. or on Wednesday at 8 a.m. All the flights on Tuesday were booked. The responsible thing to do would be taking the flight back tomorrow morning. I would make it to school early, I could register on time, be available to proctor the Ethics workshop put on by SJC for the September class' Orientation and I won't miss the first two days of class.
But somehow good reason just doesn't work out sometimes. I took the Wednesday flight.
Just the mere fact I had to cut my vacation one day short made me almost instantly reject the idea of flying out tomorrow morning (I also was not mentally prepared). It's one day less with my family, one day less with my boyfriend. As silly as this sounds, I have a nice dinner date planned with John tomorrow night, and there is no way I was going to cancel our date. Miss registration? pshh whatever. Forgoing my SJC responsibilities during orientation? I've done worse. Missing my first two days of class? I can still miss another 12.
Yep, sensibility definitely trumps sense today.
p.s. random thought, how funny is it that everyone at AUC has been waiting to be hit by a hurricane all semester in the CARIBBEAN and it never comes. Instead I'm getting hit with a hurricane in Rhode Island on my traveling day.

haha, awesome :) safe flight on wednesday and good luck with the next semester!
ReplyDeleteYeah, we were expecting it in Miami, but it just missed us. Have a safe flight and an awesome new semester Andrea!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much. I think I'm excited to get back studying. Irene ended up not being so bad in the end. Although power is out in half the homes of Rhode Island. National Grid is reporting that it will take a week to restore power to all areas affected.
ReplyDelete