Food for thought: Getting Rid of the Hard Sciences and the MCAT
Going to a Caribbean medical school is a great and viable option for students who truly want to become good doctors. It's easier to get into Caribbean medical schools--I got in with a 3.2 GPA and at 28O MCAT. And there are usually three start dates: September, January, May with rolling admission. You should apply 4-5 months ahead of the semester you wish to start, but I've heard of people applying two months before and getting in that upcoming semester. I actually applied 6 months before the January 2011 start date and I think I'm one of the first to be admitted for that class. After sending in your application, you normally hear back from the school in 2-6 weeks of your acceptance, denial, or interview. AUC normally does not interview their applicants, unless there are inconsistencies in the application. St. George's, Ross, and Saba all do interviews to determine acceptance. I only had to wait two weeks before I was contacted via email that I had been accepted into AUC and that I was granted an interview at St. George's.
In the Caribbean, it's 4 years of medical school and all the classes/textbooks are in English. You take the USMLE Step 1 after your second year just like in the US. Unlike US students however, Caribbean med students do their clinical rotations (years 3 and 4 of med school) at different hospital sites across the US which are affiliated with the school. So you only actually live on the island for 2 years and you can spend your second 2 years in the US at one or few of these affiliated hospitals. Of the "Big 4" St. George's has the most clinical sites with AUC and Ross closely behind and Saba has the least with 15. Another thing that you need to consider is whether or not your rotations are "greenbook" I'll get more into that in another post because it is important for residency programs.
After completing the 4th year of medical school, students then take step 2 of the USMLE and apply to residency programs in the United States. The USMLE is the great equalizer for medical students everywhere who wish to practice in the United States. It provides a great opportunity for people to show all that they have learned and to measure them against US medical students. So if you work hard in med schools and ace those board exams, it doesn't really matter which med school you're coming from-- you will be able to match and get the residency program you want. However if you are vying for a program in an ultra-competitive field like plastic surgery or neurosurgery, even Harvard grads are fighting amongst themselves to secure residencies of that caliber. Getting very competitive residency programs is hard coming out of the Caribbean, but it has been done before.
If there's a will there's a way.
Nothing truer has ever been said.
I just got out from my advisor's office with the same remark that you got from yours. I am a third year undergrad with a 3.3. My advisor has suggested that I plan to apply for a postbach or master's program before applying to med school. But I guess I am in a hurry to start my life as well and I want to go to medical school right after I graduate next year. Disappointed after the meeting, I googled to see other options and where I stood. I am so glad I came across your blog and this post has definitely motivated me to not give up. I still have a year to make things right and take a step towards achieving my dream. I I just wanted to say thank you so much for this post!!
ReplyDeleteI'm very happy to help :)
DeleteHi there, your blog is so inspiring and it shows me that there are definitely other options out there, regardless of what other people say. I look forward to hearing about your adventures!
ReplyDelete