Wednesday, July 28, 2010

How did I get to this point?

I messed up college. Not really all my classes but certainly enough of my premed classes. I ended up withdrawing from Gen Chem 2 my freshman year, only to retake it a couple summers later scoring a C+. I took both semesters of physics that same summer and managed a C average. In reality, I know I failed those classes, but because the professor was such a sweet old gentleman, he gave me the passing score. My other marks in the premed courses were always around a B, with the occasional A, but nothing ever outstanding.

After avoiding my premed advisor for a couple years, I finally got up the nerve to meet with him at the end of my sophomore year. He looked over my transcript and he sort of sighed as if he was asking himself "why must students like these want or even think they can get into med school?" He had a reputation within premed circles for only concerning himself with the best students. He was not optimistic about my chances, but he said if I started getting A's in the next two years and excellent MCAT scores I may still have a shot.

Renewed with a hopeful and positive attitude, I went home vowing to study my ass off and get excellent grades from here on out. Needless to say, that didn't exactly happen. I continued to get B's in my science courses and although I did finish with A's in Neuroscience and Organic Chem II my last semester, it was hardly enough. I went back to my premed advisor and he told me I would not get in with my current GPA (3.2), which is absolutely true. I had no shot. He suggested a postbach program where I would have to get all A's and then maybe I could apply to med schools with a something of a chance. If I wasn't in such a rush to just start my life, I might have taken him up on his offer. I simply didn't feel like spending another year or two studying courses that I would have to take in medical school anyway.

Then I asked the premed advisor about foreign medical schools. He had never even mentioned the option to me before, but I knew some of my dad's friends who went to Caribbean med schools and were now successful physicians.  After hearing their experiences, I kept the option in the back of my mind.

Upon the mention of foreign schools, my premed advisor simply gave me a handout of which schools were the most well known and legitimate. They included schools in Ireland, Israel, Mexico, and the Caribbean. He told me good luck and "let me know what happens." And that was that. Goodbye Mr. Premed advisor and really thanks for nothing. Here I was, recent grad, clutching a handout in my hand, walking in the general direction of my car, contemplating how I got here. It was at this point when I decided I had to get myself to a computer and figure out what the hell I was doing with my life.

I knew I wanted to go to the Caribbean so I spent the next month or so researching the best schools, the requirements, the life on the islands, the rotations, the residency placements, etc etc.  On all the boards there's always talk of the "Big 4" which include St George's, AUC, Ross, and Saba. I narrowed down my choices to two- AUC and SGU. It seemed like St. George's had the best reputation of all the Caribbean schools and some of my dad's friends had gone to that school as well. But AUC easily became my first choice. I love how much smaller the class size is in comparison to SGU and Ross, it seems much more intimate, and everyone is there for the same reason--to become good doctors. Additionally, there is really no comparison between the islands. St. Maarten is a whole lot better than Grenada, which is still a very beautiful place, but coming from Boston/Providence I need a well developed island.

While I do think Ross and Saba are good schools as well, I personally was not sure about Ross because of the ridiculous drop out rate. This school simply exists to get as many people as they can to enroll. take their money, to only then fail half of them out of the university by third semester. It's a large university and I know I would most certainly get lost in the shuffle there. I suppose I just look for more individual attention at this point in my life and that is also part of the reason why I applied for January instead of September. As for Saba, they are a bit of a newer school, there are no US federal loans, and they did not have as many clinical rotation sites as I hoped for in New York. I've always wanted to live in New York City for a year or two and AUC has many hospital affiliations there, which is another reason why I was sold on the school.

The next step was to get my MCATs in order. I ended up studying for them for three months. I really really worked on physics because I had pretty much failed an entire years worth of the subject. I studied biology and orgo complacently and spent the remainder of my time on chemistry. I hardly did anything with my verbal. And as the results of my MCATs demonstrate, you get what you give: P -11 V-7  B-10 W-O

I got a 28O and I knew there was a chance for me. I applied to the two schools a few weeks later and the rest is now history.

(Note: I took the MCATs twice. Many US schools will take your highest score from each section from each test. Don't sell yourself short if you've taken it twice and trying to apply to the US! First time around I did better in verbal with a 9, so you could say I did get a 30, but in Caribbean schools this is not how they do things.)

1 comment:

  1. I dont know if you still look at this site - but was recently accepted to Saba medical school (so i am a student that is going to go the carribean route as well) and I HATE THAT YOU SAID YOU MESSED UP IN COLLEGE - it is not you, it is the system that is WRONG. So you have a 3.2 average coming from a BA in BIOLOGY, whereas the girl/guy coming out with a 4.0 in MUSIC or GENERAL ARTS gets into medical school in the USA OR CANADA. HOW CAN YOU COMPARE THE TWO THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Myself, I have a 3.8 GPA with an undergrade in Neuroscience, and a 3.7 GPA in my Masters of Neuroscience, and I WAS NOT ACCEPTED to medical school in canada - however my friend who has a 3.96/4 GPA with a BA in MUSIC GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL IN CANADA ( I WAS NOT EVEN OFFERED AN INTERVIEW), and this is one case out of hundreds - it does not make sense what-so ever, and there is NOOOOOOO WAY she will be more capable and stronger then me in medical school because i had had 25 years of SCIECNE EXPOSURE, whereas she did not......DONT EVER THINK YOU MESSED UP COLLEGE BECAUSE YOU DID NOT - AND ONE DAY WHEN I AM ON THE ADMISSIONS COMMIITEE TO MEDICAL SCHOOL (WHICH I WILL BE) I WIL ACCEPTED THE INDIVIDUAL WITH A 3.3 from A HARD CORE SCIENCE DEGREE OVER ANYONE WITH A 4.0 FROM MUSIC - but the system today is ***** UP.. lol. GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS

    ReplyDelete