Saturday, April 11, 2015

How Caribbean students do in the match (from my personal experience)

I think the big question people have when looking into Caribbean medical schools is whether or not they can get the residency they want. Or maybe the big question is *if* they can even get a residency. The answer is yes. The official stats haven't come out yet for AUC, but based on the highly accurate facebook posts and word of mouth news, the great majority of my classmates matched. Naturally we don't tend to match into the ultra competitive fields of plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, dermatology, or ophthalmology (actually we had one person match in optho this year) but we have a good number of people matching into internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, OB/GYN, general surgery, psychiatry, radiology, anesthesiology, pathology, emergency medicine, and PM&R. And people not only match in their desired specialty, but the majority match into one of their top 3 choices.

With all that being said, however, I'm not going to lie to you... coming out of the Caribbean is tough during interview season. It will be used against you. You won't get interviews at many places just because you come from a Caribbean med school. I know excellent students with amazing board scores, high class rank, all honors in clerkships, and what's the result? They still get pigeon-holed into the same programs that are IMG friendly and are unceremoniously ignored by the majority of other programs. Even when they can get interviews at well-known and respected institutions, more often than not, they will be ranked lower than their US grad counterparts. It's not fair, but that's just the way it is.

I'm going to take myself as an example. I applied to both child neurology and pediatrics. I was a competitive enough applicant in my chosen fields.

My stats:
224 for Step 1 (first attempt)
226 for Step 2 (first attempt)
Passed CS (first attempt)
In the top 1/3 of my med school class
Numerous community service experience
Held a leadership position
Received an "Outstanding" recommendation in my MSPE letter
Had 3 strong letters of recommendation (2 of which were from Massachusetts General Hospital).

The results:
Out of the 49 child neurology programs I applied to, I was offered 12 interviews.
Of the 123 pediatrics programs I applied to, I was offered 19 interviews.

As sad as this may sound, coming from a Caribbean medical school, I did well for myself. To anyone else outside of the Caribbean system, those are some tough numbers to swallow.  Hell yes this was expensive, but the more you spend on applications, the higher your odds of getting an interview, and the higher your odds of matching. So that is why Caribbean medical schools encourage their students to apply to as many programs as they can afford.  If you are considering Caribbean, definitely know this before coming in.
  

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations Andrea on your awesome journey!!! Please can you elaborate on how you chose what programs to apply to for residency? How did you discover the IMG friendly program?

    Thanks,

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied to all mostly. for child neuro I didn't apply to Utah or the west coast because I didn't want to go that far but you;ll find that when you applly,, you just click boxes like nothing. To find the IMG friendly programs you should go back to the match list of any foreign school and see which US programs applicants matched. AUC, St. George's, and Ross have their lists up online for the classes of the last few years. I'd start applying to those places first

      Delete
  2. hi andrea
    Thanks for this! I am almost finish with my MD4 and will be studying for my USMLE in june. I want to apply for ob/gyn residency and was aiming for a 230 do you think this is a good score or should i am higher? I am registering for the kaplan course and was wondering any pointers you can give me as I begin this daunting journey of studying for my USMLE. thanks again! I really appreciate this blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always aim higher. the better your score, the tougher it is for people to ignore your application. they will at least open it to see what you're all about. Your USMLE will get you in the door (as in you pass the initial screen... lots of programs will wipe out people if they are below a cutoff based on step scores alone). It's up to the rest of your application if people decide they want to interview you. and just do as many questions as you can. take the NBME exams, so all the kaplan questions, the Uworld questions. questions, questions, questions.

      Delete
  3. Thank Andrea!
    I really appreciate this blog and I look forward to your future post! thanks again! and congrats on matching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a 42 yo old doctor of optometry. Getting ready to apply to sgu vs Ross vs auc. Can you e mail me at ericrichardtyler@aol.com. had 3.01 undergrad but 3.4 optometry gpa. Taking mcat July. Would be interested to know the resistance from your pre med adviser that led to auc and your hurdles. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi do you know anything about MUA med and is the USMLE harder than MCAT?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! How expensive is 172 applications to residency? Congratulations on your match!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrea!

    I was wondering, did you do electives at Massachusetts General Hospital? If so, how were you able to get electives there? I am currently trying to schedule electives.

    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reach out to the residency coordinator for the specialty you're trying to do an elective in. Simply email or phone call should work. A lot of places are cracking down with hosting foreign medical grads but child neuro specifically at mass general has people from all over .UT-Houston (now mcgovern medical school) also hosts lots of FMGs in all their specialities if you want to do stuff at my home hospital-- ER is one of the big ones here.

      Delete