All I've been hearing these days is pathoma pathoma pathoma. Well you know what? Pathoma is fine and all, but I would put it at the level of the Kaplan videos and book, but with even slightly less detail. If you want to take it a step further, I highly recommend getting Rapid Review Pathology by Edward Goljan. I don't know if you all remember, but I had purchased this book just before 3rd semester and I stupidly never used it. Such a mistake. For this semester, I've been using Goljan alongside the class notes and I can't get over how much deeper my understanding is on all the material. Not only does it match up perfectly with the class lectures, but it offers a detailed yet succinct account on each of the diseases. I really can't say enough good things about it. Now I understand why this book is considered the premier study guide for Step I pathology. Additionally, I highly recommend getting the pirated Goljan audio lectures. There should be 38 lectures in all, each about 55 minutes long. I've been listening to one lecture pretty much every night as I drift off to sleep and it's just another good way to expose yourself to the material.
The journey of one girl with one dream, who refused to take "no" for an answer when it came to becoming a doctor. That's right, Mr. premed advisor! I don't need your negativity because I'm going to medical school and I'm doing it Caribbean style. Update: I'm going to the American University of Caribbean... so I'm actually doing this St. Maarten style. #Second Update: I'm now a practicing physician at UT-Houston, in the throes of my 5 year pediatric neurology training program.
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
You must absolutely buy this book for pathology
All I've been hearing these days is pathoma pathoma pathoma. Well you know what? Pathoma is fine and all, but I would put it at the level of the Kaplan videos and book, but with even slightly less detail. If you want to take it a step further, I highly recommend getting Rapid Review Pathology by Edward Goljan. I don't know if you all remember, but I had purchased this book just before 3rd semester and I stupidly never used it. Such a mistake. For this semester, I've been using Goljan alongside the class notes and I can't get over how much deeper my understanding is on all the material. Not only does it match up perfectly with the class lectures, but it offers a detailed yet succinct account on each of the diseases. I really can't say enough good things about it. Now I understand why this book is considered the premier study guide for Step I pathology. Additionally, I highly recommend getting the pirated Goljan audio lectures. There should be 38 lectures in all, each about 55 minutes long. I've been listening to one lecture pretty much every night as I drift off to sleep and it's just another good way to expose yourself to the material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Totally agree... this book is awesome! Hope you're doing well Andrea!
ReplyDelete100% agree!
ReplyDeletedisagree, too much detail for step one. I would read Robbins during school and study pathoma for step. Pathoma, pathoma, pathoma, it is perfectly concise.
ReplyDeleteI am gong to be applyng to the Caribean schools and would like to get your honest views on the following:
ReplyDelete1. Will I make it with a GPA of 3.5 and an MCAT of 28?
2. How do you find the professors and do they teach well.
3. Does the University have the right tools for you to resech, study for the USMLE tests?
with scores like that i would try for US schools first. you can even retake the MCAT and shoot for a 30+ and yu have a great shot at getting in the US. You are more than qualified for Carib schools. You will definitely get in if you were to apply now.
ReplyDeleteI think the professors in general are pretty good. Of course there are always a some bad ones that you will encounter (notably the physio dept), but its the same like any school. And the school does have great tools for you to do well in the USMLE. Our students perform very well in the national boards
Hey Andrea,
ReplyDeleteI've been reading your blog for quite some time now and finally thought I'd comment after starting up my own blog. I've applied to some Caribbean med schools for this year's Fall semester and hopefully will be attending AUC in September. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Just wanted to say that your blog has been very informative and I hope you find the time in your very busy schedule to post again soon, I miss your posts!
Good luck with your studies,
Allysha
Andrea,
ReplyDeleteAs many others that have commented on your blog have said, thank you for keeping up with such an informative blog with all the ins-and-outs / ups-and-downs... I really enjoy it and find it admirable that you're able to keep up with it, enjoy the little free time you get, and still continue to grind through medical school. I wish you the very best of luck with everything, and I look forward to hearing about your rotations. Good luck and take care!!!
--Chris L.