Wednesday, April 20, 2011

First Semester done and I've Passed all my Classes!


Block 4 is over with, Finals are done, I’ve moved all my stuff out of the dorms into my new place over at Cupecoy Beach Club, and now I’m sitting in a plane headed to Miami.

That’s right folks, there’s nothing else to say except I’m 8#%@*** done with my first semester of medical school!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!

So far I know I’ve passed MCB since we got our final grades yesterday, but I won’t be hearing about the Anatomy Shelf exam (our final) for another few days. Apparently it’s pretty difficult for students to fail anatomy because there are so many grading opportunities to do well (4 Written exams, 4 Practical exams, the Shelf  exam, 4 quizzes, ethics grade, and lab grade) and it is a known fact that the anatomy department at AUC adjusts the Final exam scores  since we are taking the US Shelf only after one semester of anatomy when our US counterparts have been studying anatomy for an entire year.

Going into the exam I had a 76% average and after taking it, I felt pretty confident I got at least a 70% (after the  AUC curve). So I think it’s safe to say I won’t be repeating any classes this semester! Double Wooooo.

I mentioned in an earlier post I would update you all on how I have been doing on my exams so here it goes:

Block 4 Results:

MCB I-
Me: 95%
Average: 77%

Embryology:
Me: 75%
Average: 75%
side note: I had originally received a 53% but since the rest of the class also had heinous grades thanks to our professor who tested us on details impossible to study for, the anatomy dept came to realize that the exam was pretty much a sham and threw out a whole bunch of questions to raise the average from a 58% to a 75%. 

Anatomy-
Me: 81%
Average: 80%  Hell yea, 1% better than my last exam. I only keep improving.

Final Exam Results:

MCB I-
Me: 86% 
Average: 77%

Anatomy Shelf (just got the results!)-
Me: 80%
Average: 77%






7 comments:

  1. Congrats on a successful semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats on a great first semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats! hopefully you still go on valuemd, cause i have questions to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys! And I still do go on to valuemd every so often so if you shoot me a PM I'll see it the next time I log on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea! Great job on finishing 1 semester! I was hoping you could give us some insight as to your studying techniques for doing as well as you did in the classes? Are you allowed to record lectures? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello there, for my next blog post, I'll devote it to answering your question!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Andrea,

    I've been following your posts for quite some time now. I am currently at AUC (1st semester). We just started block 4 and I am really worried about block 4 mcb with Macintosh. I heard his exam can be really tricky. Any advice on how to study and approach this block? Genetics is not my strongest subject; I've never taken a genetics course.

    Thank you,

    Dane

    ReplyDelete