Monday, September 13, 2010

Stigma

Since learning of my acceptance to AUC, I find myself in a recurring situation.


I run into a friend, neighbor, or acquaintance who I haven't seen in months (sometimes even a year) and they ask what I'm up to. 
"I'm going to medical school in January," I tell them.
"Awesome!" and as certain as the rising of the sun,"where are you going?"
Without pause, I respond, "the American University of the Caribbean." 
Crickets.
"It's on St. Maarten." 


After crossing this threshold, I usually receive one of two responses: the first being some comment on the wonderfulness of the weather, the beauty of the island and/or how lucky I am to be studying on the beach. 


The second response usually involves the person taking a more direct approach and asking why I'm going to the Caribbean instead of the United States. I give my automated explanation- explaining that although I never applied to US med schools, I knew my undergrad GPA was not particularly competitive, and I didn't want to spend time and money going to a postbach program to get better grades or apply to med schools and have to wait another two years before I can start my education.


I could stop there. My response sufficiently answers the question, but somehow I never do. I always feel a need to defend myself under that familiar blank gaze. I go on to explain how Caribbean med schools are just like US schools and that I only live in the island for a short while and spend my last two years rotating at US hospitals. I explain that the thing that really matters for getting good residencies is the USMLE step scores, that I will become a doctor and end up in the same place in life regardless of the med school I attend (so long as it's legitimate), thus it doesn't really matter and I'll be as good a doctor as the next bright person.


At this point, I've long lost the interest of my company, and I realize that this particular person does not know about the medical school system or even really understands the process of becoming a doctor. They were just asking a question to simply placate a passing curiosity and don't actually care where I'm going to med school.


Even though I don't mind going to a Caribbean medical school myself (and I am really looking forward to it), why do I still find the need to defend myself? Will I have to explain my decision and bolster it for the rest of my life?  To the latter question, I honestly don't think so. Maybe in the beginning when I encounter other medical school students at home or in clinicals, it's a point of pride stating where you go to med school, but otherwise once you are in residency, I don't believe patients even ask. In reality, I think it's only other doctors and people in the medical field who will be the ones to pass judgement (if it happens at all). And even then, I believe it's for no greater reason than to be petty or to be primarily concerned with a superiority complex. I really don't know. 


What I do know is I don't mind that I will go to medical school in the Caribbean, I don't care that I'm going to a  school where "Caribbean" is in the name because AUC is giving me the shot at an MD that other schools probably wouldn't have. I know AUC will be the place where I will study hard and become a knowledgeable and compassionate doctor and that's all I'm interested in. The End. People who are overly concerned with names shouldn't waste their time becoming doctors anyway. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I've been encountering these exact same feelings for a long time. At times I'll flip-flop on the subject with some negative feelings, but always come around to realize that in the end it will all work out. I started AUC in Aug 2007 and am nearly done with clinicals. The stigma is actually not that bad as it may have been years ago. I met a lot of cool US students and they really didn't care about the Carib thing. Besides, just know your stuff and impress people and you'll be just fine. Good luck to you. P.S. I miss the island a lot; a lot of great times are to be had there. Study hard and enjoy the beautiful island. =D

    ReplyDelete